Leslie CohenMediator / Arbitrator
Leslie A. Cohen is currently the owner of Leslie Cohen Law, PC in Santa Monica, California, representing debtors, creditors, claimants, trustees, litigants, equity holders and other parties in bankruptcy matters (chapter 7 and chapter 11) and out-of-court workouts. Ms. Cohen has represented multiple and various businesses and individuals in bankruptcy and insolvency matters, bankruptcy adversary proceedings, claims litigation, financial disputes, structuring, restructuring, and reorganization. Ms. Cohen has represented numerous asset purchasers and sellers in negotiating and litigating bankruptcy acquisitions and contract assumptions and rejections. In addition to Ms. Cohen’s bankruptcy and litigation expertise, she also advises companies on structuring and funding of special purpose entities, distress acquisitions, and related transactions.
Ms. Cohen has represented clients in mediations and served as a member of the United States Bankruptcy Court Mediation Program, Central District of California, since its inception in 1995. She has successfully mediated dozens of cases in the past several years.
Ms. Cohen is the co-chair of the bankruptcy section of the American Bar Association GP/Small Firm/Solo division. She is an editor and editorial board member of the California Bankruptcy Journal, where she has published 4 articles over the last 5 years. Ms. Cohen is also a frequent lecturer for the American Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the UCLA Anderson Business School, and the UCLA undergraduate program, in addition to frequent lectures for non-bankruptcy organizations such as the Family Law Study Group and various entertainment law firms.
Recent Representative Matters
- Advise and consult asset purchaser in a Marciano related case;
- Advise and represent asset purchaser in Villetta Brentwood LLC case
- So far in 2014, obtained two successful judgments on complaints objecting to discharge for creditors, one after a 4-day trial ( FTC Commercial Corp. v Lorber) and the other via summary judgment (Domain v. McAllister)
- Successful defense of fraudulent conveyance action against chapter 7 trustee attacking an individual debtor’s irrevocable trust (Hagen v Golden ).
- $5.5 million preferential insider transfer defense, including success on appeal to 9th Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel ( Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Adamson Apparel, Inc. v. Simon).
- Omnibus claims objections across multiple related bankruptcy cases, reducing estate assets by millions of dollars
- Multiple confirmed chapter 11 plans
- Multiple chapter 7 discharges
- Multiple successful relief from stay and adversary motions
Education & Employment Background
- J.D., UCLA Law School; Associate Editor of the UCLA Law Review.
- B.A., University of California, San Diego – Revelle College
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Institute for Dispute Resolution Graduate
- Owner, Attorney & Sole Shareholder – Leslie Cohen Law PC, 2008-Present
- Partner, and Chair of the Bankruptcy Group – Liner Grode Stein Yankelevitz Sunshine Regenstreif & Taylor LLP
- Attorney/Partner – Levene & Eisenberg
- Attorney – Robinson, Diamant, Brill & Klausner
Ms. Cohen’s published opinions include the following:
- In re Aslan , 65 B.R. 826 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. 1986)
- In re Barsk y, 85 B.R. 550 (C.D. Cal. 1988)
- In re Golden Books , 269 B.R. 311 (D. Del. 2001)
- In re MCEG Prod., Inc. , 133 B.R. 232 (Bankr. C.D. Cal 1991)
- In re Moss , 91 B.R. 563 (Bankr. C.D. Cal 1988)
- In re Oak Creek Energy Farms, Ltd. , 99 B.R. 36 (Bankr. E.D. Cal. 1989)
- In re Oak Creek Energy Farms, Ltd. , 107 B.R. 266 (Bankr. E.D. Cal. 1989)
- In re Oak Creek Energy Farms, Ltd. , 119 B.R. 739 (E.D. Cal. 1990)
- In re Oak Creek Energy Farms, Ltd. , 956 F.2d 1167 (9th Cir. 1992)
- In re Safren , 65 B.R. 566 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. 1986)
- In re Si Yeon Park, Ltd. , 198 B.R. 956 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. 1996)
- In re Skyler Ridge , 80 B.R. 500 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. 1987)
Charitable, Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Editorial Board of the California Bankruptcy Journal since 2008
- Member, UCLA School of Law Alumni Association, 2005-2011
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute and co-chair of the bankruptcy section of the GP/Solo/Small Firm division; frequent speaker for the ABA, including speaking at the Southwest Bankruptcy Conference in September 2011, at the Toronto annual meeting in 2011, the National Solo and Small Firm Conference in Denver in 2011, and the annual meeting in San Francisco in August 2013
- Chair of the bankruptcy section of the Century City Bar Association, 1991-2001
- Served on the board of the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, the UCLA Jonsson Cancer Research Center, and University Synagogue
- Served on the Bankruptcy Mediation Panel for the Central District of California since 1995, and in 2004, received an award for being the most requested mediator in the Northern Division
- In 2009, Ms. Cohen established the Leslie Cohen Law Running Team to promote health, fitness and community involvement. In 2010, she successfully trained 19 students for admission to the Santa Monica High School Cross Country team and in 2010 and 2011 competed in triathlons to raise money to fund the team
- In 2012, Ms. Cohen founded the Leslie Cohen Law fundraiser 5K benefitting Public Counsel Debtor Assistance Project and the Santa Monica High School Cross Country and Track and Field programs. Ms. Cohen and her Firm underwrite the event with the help of their sponsors. The third annual Leslie Cohen Law 5K Run/Walk was held April 26, 2014 with the largest turnout since its inception.
In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Cohen is an active lecturer and author. She lectures regularly at the University of California, Los Angeles for both the undergraduate business law program and the Anderson School of Business graduate program. She has also spoken for the International Conference of Shopping Centers, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the American Bar Association, the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, the Financial Lawyers Conference, the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, and the Century City Bar Association.
Ms. Cohen’s publications include the following scholarly articles:
- Debtor May Assign Executory Contracts or Unexpired Leases, Los Angeles Daily Journal, January 2, 2003
- A Survey of Recent Bankruptcy Decisions Impacting Upon the Entertainment Industry, 1992 Entertainment Publishing and the Arts Handbook
- Shopping Center Leases In Bankruptcy And The Impact Of BAPCPA, California Bankruptcy Journal, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2009
- Net Disposable Income Test for Chapter 11, California Bankruptcy Journal, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2009
- Guarantor Preference Liability, California Bankruptcy Journal, Vol, 31, No. 3, 2011
- Secured Loan Modification Absent Contractual Privity in Bankruptcy: A Survey of Case Law Twenty Years After Johnson v. Home State Bank, California Bankruptcy Journal (31 Cal. Bankr. J. 869 (2012))
Awards & Recognition
Ms. Cohen has been named to the Super Lawyers list every year since 2004. She was named one of the “Top 50 Women Attorneys” in Southern California by Super Lawyers in 2006-08, and one of the “Top 100” attorneys in Southern California by Super Lawyers in 2009.