James C. Bastian, Jr.Mediator / Arbitrator
James C. Bastian, Jr. is a partner with Shulman Hodges & Bastian LLP and has practiced with the Firm his entire career. He joined the Firm in 1995 after serving as a judicial law clerk for one year to the Honorable Kathleen Thompson, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Central District of California.
Mr. Bastian has utilized alternative dispute resolution and mediation to resolve contested matters in bankruptcy proceedings and has mediated dozens of contested matters and adversary proceedings throughout his career. He has built a reputation as a consensus builder and analytical mediator who can break down each party’s position on a given issue and provide an honest assessment of each party’s strengths and weaknesses to drive them to a successful resolution and avoid costly litigation.
Most recently, Mr. Bastian served on the panel of arbitrators and mediators for St. Louis-based United States Arbitration & Mediation, Inc., helping USA&M expand its practice to the Western United States.
Mr. Bastian began his career representing the Sub-Committee of Vendors of the County of Orange in the largest municipal bankruptcy case in the history of the United States. Mr. Bastian has represented nearly every type of party in a chapter 7 or chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding, including bankruptcy trustees, debtors-in-possession, creditors' committees, purchasers of assets, individual creditors, secured creditors, plaintiffs and defendants in avoidance actions, plaintiffs and defendants in discharge actions, directors and officers and interest holders. As lead counsel, Mr. Bastian has successfully confirmed over twenty plans of reorganization on behalf of chapter 11 debtors and successfully negotiated over 100 out of court workouts. While based primarily in Southern California, Mr. Bastian has represented parties in interest in every district in the State of California and has been specially admitted to represent parties in over ten additional jurisdictions nationwide.
Mr. Bastian also has extensive experience representing trustees, estate representatives and defendants in avoidance actions which arise in bankruptcy proceedings. Mr. Bastian has represented parties in hundreds of these matters, the overwhelming number of which settled before trial, and in which he has utilized alternative dispute resolution and mediation in resolving the matters.
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 1994
- B.A. in Political Science, UCLA, 1991
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, 1997 – 2003, including serving as its youngest-ever President in 2002
- Served on the Board of Directors of the California Bankruptcy Forum, 2000 - 2003
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Orange County Bar Association Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section
- Has served as a panelist or moderator in over 20 Continuing Legal Education seminars
Awards & Recognition
- Named a Super Lawyer, 2006
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Served as an Adjunct Professor of Bankruptcy Law at Irvine Valley College
- Has been recognized by several charitable organizations for his volunteer work