James A. TiemstraMediator / Arbitrator
James A. Tiemstra is the principal of Tiemstra Law Group, PC. Prior to starting Tiemstra Law Group, PC, Mr. Tiemstra headed the bankruptcy practice group at Miller Starr Regalia for 18 years.
Throughout his more than 35 year career, Mr. Tiemstra has focused his practice on business bankruptcy law, including business reorganizations, creditors’ rights and workouts, equipment leasing law, title insurance claims assessment and defense. Mr. Tiemstra is certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the American Board of Certification and has represented virtually all of the different participants in bankruptcy matters. His active practice has involved him in all aspects of bankruptcy law in cases across the nation.
Mr. Tiemstra is an experienced mediator, helping parties to efficiently and expeditiously resolve both basic and complex business litigation and disputes. Mr. Tiemstra was one of the original volunteer Resolution Advocates for the Bankruptcy Dispute Resolution Program of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California and he continues serve on the panel over 20 years later.
Professional Affiliations & Activities
- Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the American Board of Certification (1994-)
- Resolution Advocate for the Bankruptcy Dispute Resolution Program of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California (1994-)
- Member, Business Law Section of the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Member and founding Director, Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum (BABF); President (1995-1996)
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF), Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section
- Panelist, “Mediating Disputes Involving Troubled Companies, The Bar Association of San Francisco,” Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section, March 11, 2014
- Moot court judge and expert guest speaker for the “Lawyering: Business Bankruptcy” course at Golden Gate University School of Law (2013)
- Panelist, “The Litigation Life Cycle: Panel Discussion regarding Litigating Avoidance, Relief from Stay and Other Actions and Contested Matters in Bankruptcy Court,” California Bankruptcy Forum (CBF) 24th Annual Insolvency Conference, May 19, 2012
- Panelist, “2005 Amendments to the Bankruptcy Code: A Potpourri of New Issues for the Real Estate Practioner,” The Real Property Section of the State Bar of California 25th Annual Retreat, April 29, 2006
- Panelist, “Mediating Disputes Involving Troubled Companies,” The Bar Association of San Francisco, Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section, March 11, 2014
Awards and Recognition
Mr. Tiemstra holds an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell (listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers), and has been named a Northern California Super Lawyer since the inception of the nomination and polling process conducted by Law & Politics Magazine.
Mr. Tiemstra’s practice has involved him as lead counsel in complex appeals, a number of which have resulted in “cutting edge” decisions, including:
- Moldo v. Matsco, Inc. (In re Cybernetic Services, Inc.), 252 F.3d 1039 (9th Cir. 2001)
- Land West, Inc. v. Coldwell Banker Comm. Group, Inc. (In re Haley), 950 F.2d 588 (9th Cir. 1991)
- Montclair Retail Ctr., L.P. v. Bank of the W. (In re Montclair Retail Ctr., L.P.), 177 B.R. 663 (9th Cir. BAP 1995)
- In re Michael H. Clement Corp., 430 B.R. 549 (Bankr. N.D. Cal. 2009), aff’d, Alegre v. Michael H. Clement Corp. (In re Michael H. Clement Corp.), 446 B.R. 394 (N.D. Cal. 2011)
- Ormsby v. First Am. Title Co. of Nev. (In re Ormsby), 386 B.R. 243 (E.D. Cal. 2008), aff’d, 591 F.3d 1199 (9th Cir. 2010)
- Burkart v. Coleman (In re Tippett), 542 F.3d 684 (9th Cir. 2008)
- In re Connectix Corp., 372 B.R. 488 (Bankr. N.D. Cal. 2007)
- Palm v. Klapperman (In re Cady), 266 B.R. 172 (B.A.P. 9th Cir. 2001), aff’d, Scapparo v. Cady (In re Cady), 315 F.3d 1121 (9th Cir. 2003)
- National Labor Relations Board v. Adams Delivery Service, Inc. (In re Adams Delivery Service, Inc.), 24 B.R. 589 (B.A.P. 9th Cir. 1982)
- Central Bank, N.A. v. Zed, Inc. (In re Zed Inc.), 20 B.R. 462 (Bankr. N.D. Cal. 1982)
- Contributing author, Landlord and Tenant, 7 MILLER & STARR, CAL. REAL ESTATE 3d
- Contributing author, Deeds of Trust and Mortgages, 4 MILLER & STARR, CAL. REAL ESTATE
- Author, Impact of the New Bankruptcy Amendments on Real Estate Law & Practice, The Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 8, 2005
- Co-author (with William F. Taylor), “Designation Rights” Sales: Triumph of Expedience Over the Code?, Am. Bankr. Inst. J., Vol. XX, No. 7, Sept. 2001